Monday, October 10, 2016


As I write this note on this beautiful Sunday afternoon, I can’t help but think about my students and their families. I am incredibly grateful for this opportunity to help your child grow and learn.

I’m happy to report that our MAP/NWEA testing is complete. I’ll have reports ready to share at conferences in November. This was initial testing, providing me with important information as to what your child knows and what is yet to be learned.

Monday will be our first day of Neighborhoods, for both reading and math. Students are placed in Neighborhoods according to skill and where we think they will learn best. Although they may a different teacher for reading and/or math neighborhoods, I will still be responsible for materials taught. Neighborhoods are a great way of providing additional support to those students who might need it while, at the same time, providing extensions to those children who already understand the material.

I have been rethinking my homework policy and decided to make a change. I’ve found there are many students who really need some extra practice on skills learned at school.  Every student has a ‘homework folder’, which was given to them at the start of the year. Although most students return those folders to school, there are some who do not. Keep these folders in your child’s backpack so I can put important papers in the folders and you will know where to look for school information. 

Beginning on Monday (today!), look for 2 math homework sheets sent home and they will be due on Friday. In addition, I am inviting all students to participate in the Pizza Hut Book It Reading Program http://www.bookitprogram.com. Another note explaining the program was sent home. Return the reading calendar at the end of the month and your child will receive a certificate for a free personal pan pizza from Pizza Hut.

Don’t forget that Wednesday is a 1/2 day for students!


On a final note, Friday is POPCORN DAY. Students may purchase a bag of popcorn for $.50. 


No comments:

Post a Comment