Monday, November 30, 2015

It’s good to be back in a routine after a long holiday break. Now, we’re on the countdown to Christmas Break and time will fly by! There’s a lot of activities going on at Alpine and a lot to remember.

First and most importantly, if you are planning on coming to school to help and/or participate in these events, a background check is essential. Let me know if you need a form and I’ll put it in your child’s backpack.

Christmas Party/Celebration: 
The 2nd grade classes have the tradition of making and decorating gingerbread houses on the Friday before vacation (December 18). Although the time has not been set yet, I will need a lot of adult helpers! The more the merrier.  All adult helpers need a background check on file.

We are in need of vanilla frosting, graham crackers and assorted candies. You may send these in at any time. 

Christmas Concert:
The annual concert will be held Tuesday, December 8 at the High School Performing Arts Center. K-2 will be on stage at 6:00pm but I will be waiting for my students at 5:40pm. Please don’t drop your child off any sooner, since there won’t be anyone there to supervise them. I’ll let you know as soon as I find out where we will meet.

The older kids (grades 3-5) will perform from 7-8pm. Make sure to pick up your child before this concert begins, as there will be no childcare during this time.

Field Trip: 
As part of our Social Studies curriculum, we study traditions around the world. To learn more about traditions, we’ll be traveling to Fredrick Meijer Gardens on Thursday, December 17, to learn about “Holidays Around the World.” Please see the green paper in your child’s backpack. 

Coats, Boots, and Hats:
Please make sure your child comes prepared for our unpredictable weather. Your child should have a winter coat, snow pants, boots, hats and mittens. If this is a problem, let me know. 

Christmas Gifts:
At this time of year I often get asked about Christmas gifts for students as well as myself. We do not exchange gifts in 2nd grade. I will have gifts to share with your students, though!

As for me, I really do not need any presents. If you feel the need to give something, I would rather have you give something for us to use in the classroom. Here is a list of items our 2nd grade classroom can use:

tissues pencils crayons
dry erase markers colored pencils hand sanitizer erasers Lysol Wipes board games
Graham crackers Saltine crackers


Please have your child label the donated item with his/her name. On December 18, your child will be able to present the gift to the class.


No comments:

Post a Comment